Choosing to join First Parish is making a commitment to our community. The members of our spiritual community need to know that we can count on one another to walk together in beloved community. Being a member of our community means commitment to our covenant, our programs, our historic building and each other. Becoming a member brings both benefits and expectations. Some know when they arrive that they wish to join. They may be long-time Unitarian Universalists who have belonged to other congregations. Others may have been searching for a spiritual community for some time and realize when they arrive at First Parish that they have found what they were looking for in a community. Some come to First Parish without knowing quite what they are looking for in their spiritual home. They may need to attend worship, learn more about the church, participate in small groups and meet members before making a decision. There is no “right” length of time to wait before joining—it is a personal decision. Within the context of your own personal religious journey, members are expected to:
- Worship with the congregation.
- Pursue your own spiritual growth.
- Join in the work and play of the congregation.
- Make a financial commitment.
- Care for and support others in our community.
- Perform service to the wider community.
- Connect with the larger Unitarian Universalist movement.
There are three basic steps you need to complete: attend a membership session, make application to the Standing Committee, make a financial pledge to First Parish. Signing the official books of First Parish and First Church is a ritual affirmation of membership and a historic record.
Membership Orientation sessions
These single sessions are designed to give individuals an understanding of how our church operates, expectations of membership and provides a brief history of our Parish and our faith. The class is held on Sunday afternoons on a bi-monthly basis beginning in September. Each session is from 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm. This class is offered to anyone who is interested in joining our community, whether lifelong UU or a newcomer to our faith. Sessions are scheduled for:
- September 29, 2013
- November 17, 2013
- January 19, 2014
- March 16, 2014
- May 18, 2014
After you have attended the orientation, submitted your application, and made your pledge, the Standing Committee will then vote to accept you into membership. New members are voted in monthly but are recognized at the next New Member breakfast and the New Member Recognition Service. During that morning you will sign the membership record books of First Parish and First Church.
For more information on membership, see the brochure “Take the Path to Membership at First Parish” or e-mail Carol Lewis, our Congregational Administrator at office [at] firstparishcambridge [dot] org
Information about pledging and pledge forms are available on the Stewardship page.
We look forward to getting to know you.
Here are some ways to get involved.
- Attend events and discussions.
- Read the weekly announcements to learn more about what is happening. If you miss the service, the announcements are posted on the First Parish e-list.
- Attend a potluck or go to lunch with a program group after social hour.
- Join a covenant group or attend a small program group (page 12-15)
- Participate in a social justice task force or activity.
- Volunteers are needed every week for our Tuesday Meals Program.
Either the PDF or Word file below may be downloaded, completed, saved to your computer and e-mailed to the address above.
|Membership Application.doc||27 KB|
|Membership Application.pdf||15.61 KB|